Sunday, October 5, 2008

Dad's Cornbread

Isn't my cook-book beat???

Growing up it was my dad who was passionate about cooking. Don't get me wrong, my mom can cook, but my dad obsesses about it...pies, chili verde, pizza, sour dough bread, salmon with mango salsa, cornish game hens, dutch oven eclairs....

It was with him that I took a dutch oven cooking class the year I was twelve. When he gave me this recipe over the phone years ago, he of course included the dutch oven details, which are at the end of the recipe. I love this recipe, probably because it is sweet enough to be more of a corn "cake". I've never served it without someone else loving it too. May it accompany a yummy soup or stew in your house this fall or chili verde on a mountain river next summer!

Dad's Cornbread

Mix:
1/2 cup melted butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (or lemon juice/vinegar soured milk)

Add and mix:
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
(I use whole wheat flour. Do you think that balances out the sugar and butter???)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Grease bottom of an 8x8 baking dish. Pour batter into dish. Bake at 350 F for 30+ minute, until edges are browned. You can double the recipe and bake in a 13x9 baking dish.

Serve with butter and honey, of course!

(Dutch oven details: for a single batch use a 10" dutch oven. Bake with 9 briquets on top and 6 briquets under the d.o. Bake for approx. 30 minutes, rotating both the d.o. and the lid periodically.)

p.s. If you are looking for yummy soup recipes, check out the soup swap at Turkeycookies. Where do you think her blog name came from??? I'm so curious....

3 comments:

Amy said...

I love my cornbread sweet and have never found the perfect recipe - this might be the one! Thanks so much.

Jessica has a post about where her name came from - it is maybe her first or second ever post - I was curious too, so I read through all of her wonderful posts - check it out!

Jessica said...

Hi Andrea- That cornbread looks so yummy. Mine always flops when I make it! I'll have to try yours because I'm sure it will turn out. Turkey cookies comes from the thanskgiving cookie that my grandma made. Its a sugar cookie shaped like a turkey, but for years my sister and I thought it was made out of turkey. The name is in honor of my Grammie who taught me to love the kitchen. Here's the post on my weird blog name!: http://turkeycookies.blogspot.com/2008/05/turkey-cookies.html
Have a great Monday!!

JN Designs said...

Looks yummy, I will have to give it a try. Your dad is a fabulous cook!